Shakespeare Double Bill
Sat, 29 April 2023, 14:00
Sun, 30 April 2023, 14:00
Tue, 2 May 2023, 19:00
Wed, 3 May 2023, 14:00
Thu, 4 May 2023, 14:00
Fri, 5 May 2023, 14:00
Sat, 6 May 2023, 14:00
- Show More
New Commissioned Work by the NBJ, World Premiere
29 Apr - 6 May, 2023 ( 7 Performances )
Running time is to be announced
This is a double bill of new productions based on two plays by Shakespeare: "The Dream" by Sir Frederick ASHTON, with a very British feel to it, and "Macbeth" by Will TUCKETT, an Olivier award-winning choreographer with a remarkable international career. We hope you will enjoy these two works of tradition and innovation.
This ballet was choreographed by Sir Frederick ASHTON based on a play by Shakespeare. The meticulous footwork and truly English mime bring a world of forests and fairies to life, as though it had leapt straight from the pages of a picture book. Highlights include the comical scene of Puck the fairy stirring up human-like turmoil among the fairies and the amazing pas de deux performed by the fairy king and queen, Titania and Oberon.
This production was originally scheduled as our 'New Year Ballet' for January 2022, but suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are delighted to bring this piece to our audience at last.
The National Ballet of Japan will perform the original ballet created by Will TUCKETT, an Olivier award-winning choreographer with a remarkable international career. Of all of Shakespeare's plays, TUCKETT brings us "Macbeth", a profound portrayal of prophecy, ambition, suspicion, intrigue, delirium and the psychology of a character driven to extremes. Inspired by the work of the same name by Scottish composer Geraldine MUCHA, TUCKETT will give a new lease of life to this story that has been told and retold in opera and film. In recent years, TUCKETT has built a favourable reputation in Japan for combining the performing arts of ballet, opera, musical and drama. Please look forward to seeing what he creates with the National Ballet of Japan.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Ballet & Dance at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Choreography by: Sir Frederick ASHTON
Music by: Felix MENDELSSOHN
Music arranged by: John LANCHBERY
Choreography by: Will TUCKETT
Music by: Geraldine MUCHA
Music arranged by: Martin YATES
Conductor: Martin YATES
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
Chorus: The Little Singers of Tokyo
- CREATIVE TEAM
Sir Frederick ASHTON
Booking Opens: Thu, 23 Feb 2023, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- No admittance to children under 4. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast change may be required depending on the situation.