Summer Festival Opera 2019-20 Japan↔Tokyo↔World "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg"
The 76th National Arts Festival by Agency for Cultural Affairs presents
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs Government of Japan in the fiscal 2021
A Co-production between New National Theatre, Tokyo, Tokyo Bunka Kaikan, Salzburg Easter Festival and Semperoper Dresden.
Music by Richard WAGNER
Opera in 3 Scenes
Sung in German with English and Japanese surtitles
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Japan
18 Nov - 1 Dec, 2021 ( 5 Performances )
Running time is approx. 5 hours and 30 mins including two intervals
This is the second production of the project "Summer Festival Opera 2019-20 Japan↔Tokyo↔World" presented by Tokyo Bunka Kaikan and New National Theatre, Tokyo. The festive masterpiece "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg" addresses themes such as the contrast of tradition and innovation in the arts, fatherly tolerance, and the love and gracious understanding by an older man for a younger woman--meticulously played out to the accompaniment of fine music. It is frequently performed at theatres worldwide, despite the number of people and hours needed to bring such performance to life. This is Richard WAGNER's resounding celebration of what it means to be human, and from which emerges art that, both in its respect for the traditional and thirst for the new, has achieved immortality. Directing will be Jens-Daniel HERZOG, the prominent German director. This is a joint international production together with The Salzburg Easter Festival, Semperoper, and Tokyo Bunka Kaikan. It was premiered in Salzburg on 13 April 2019 and then was performed in Dresden in January and February 2020. Performances in Tokyo were schedule in June 2020, but they were suspended due to COVID-19. This acclaimed staging will be shown in Tokyo at last.
ONO Kazushi, Artistic Director of Opera, will wield the conductor's baton. This festive production is performed by a glamourous cast, including Adrian ERÖD in the fitting role of Sixtus Beckmesser, following on from Salzburg and Dresden; Wagner baritone Thomas Johannes MAYER, no stranger to the NNTT; the rising star, Tomislav MUZEK; MOCHIZUKI Tetsuya; and HAYASHI Masako. In the orchestra pit will be the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, under its musical director, ONO Kazushi.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
Cast change : Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (18 Nov-1 Dec,2021) / Role of Veit Pogner
Interview: Artistic Director ONO Kazushi talks about "Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg"
The young knight Walther learns that Eva will be betrothed to the winner of a singing contest to be held the next day and decides to take on the challenge of singing a trial song.However, all the maestros criticize the inadequacy of Walther's voice. Their musical art has many strict rules that have been handed down from generation to generation.Sachs is the only person who is moved by Walther's fresh singing and acknowledges his talent.
Photo: Semperoper Dresden / Ludwig Olah
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: ONO Kazushi
Production: Jens-Daniel HERZOG
Set Design: Mathis NEIDHARDT
Costume Design: Sibylle GÄDEKE
Lighting Design: Fabio ANTOCI
Choreography: Ramses SIGL
Associate Director: Heiko HENTSCHEL
Hans Sachs: Thomas Johannes MAYER
Veit Pogner: Guido JENTJENS
Kunz Vogelgesang: MURAKAMI Kota
Konrad Nachtigall: YONASHIRO Kei
Sixtus Beckmesser: Adrian ERÖD
Fritz Kothner: AOYAMA Takashi
Balthasar Zorn: KANNO Atsushi
Ulrich Eisslinger: SUZUKI Jun
Augustin Moser: ITO Tatsundo
Hermann Ortel: ONUMA Toru
Hans Schwarz: HASEGAWA Akira
Hans Foltz: TSUMAYA Hidekazu
Walther von Stolzing: Tomislav MUŽEK
David: MOCHIZUKI Tetsuya
Eva: HAYASHI Masako
Magdalene: YAMASHITA Makiko
Ein Nachtwächter: SHIMURA Fumihiko
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus, Nikikai Chorus Group
Orchestra: Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Thomas Johannes MAYERVeit Pogner
Guido JENTJENSSixtus Beckmesser
Adrian ERÖDFritz Kothner
AOYAMA TakashiWalther von Stolzing
Booking Opens: Sat, 4 Sep 2021, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast change may be required depending on the situation.