Les Contes d'Hoffmann
Music by Jacques OFFENBACH
Opera in 5 Acts
Sung in French with English and Japanese surtitles
15 Mar - 21 Mar, 2023 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 3 hours and 45 mins including intervals.
This is Philippe ARLAUD's production of a whimsical love story. It is Jacques Offenbach's only opera, best known for its "Belle nuit, ô nuit d'amour" (known as "Barcarolle"), other highlights including the "Chanson de Kleinzach" sung by Hoffmann, and that ultimate showcase of coloratura soprano singing, the "Les oiseaux dans la charmille" aria sung by Olympia.
This production brings added depth to the work with radiating wit and humour, as well as effective use of fluorescent colours, bringing out the sense of fantasy of the work.
This will be a noteworthy production, featuring Marko LETONJA, General Music Director of the Bremen Philharmonic, as conductor, and Leonardo CAPALBO who has been highly acclaimed for this main role, will make his debut in NNTT. Egils SILINS, well-known for many Bass-Baritone roles, will be playing the four villains.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Opera at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
The setting is a tavern next to the opera house.
The poet Hoffmann, who exchanged promises with the singer Stella, with whom he is in love, to meet each other after her performance, begins telling stories of past love with three women: falling in love with Olympia, a mechanical doll; his consumptive lover Antonia being coaxed to sing one last time, draining her of her last breath; and his shadow being taken by the courtesan Giulietta;.
The tales over, Hoffman falls into despair over the emptiness of love, getting drunk. Whereupon the Muse appears before him.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Marko LETONJA
Production, Set and Lighting Design: Philippe ARLAUD
Costume Design: Andrea UHMANN
Choreographer: UEDA Haruka
Hoffmann: Leonardo CAPALBO
Nicklausse, La Muse: KOBAYASHI Yuka
Olympia: YASUI Yoko
Antonia: KINOSHITA Mihoko
Giulietta: OHSUMI Chikako
Lindorf, Coppélius, Miracle, Dapertutto: Egils SILINS
Andrès, Cochenille, Frantz, Pitichinaccio: AOCHI Hideyuki
Luther, Crespel: ITO Takayuki
Hermann: ANDO Gento
Nathanael: MURAKAMI Toshiaki
Spalanzani: HARE Masahiko
Schlemil: SUDO Shingo
La voix de la mère, Stella: TANIGUCHI Mutsumi
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Symphony Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Marko LETONJAProduction, Set and Lighting Design
Leonardo CAPALBONicklausse, La Muse
OHSUMI ChikakoLindorf, Coppélius, Miracle, Dapertutto
Booking Opens: Sun, 8 Jan 2023, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.