Music by Georg Friedrich HÄNDEL
Opera in 3 Acts
Sung in Italian with English and Japanese surtitles
2 Oct - 10 Oct, 2022 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 4 hours and 15 mins including intervals.
Expectations were high on all sides when Artistic Director of Opera, ONO Kazushi, scheduled Giulio Cesare as the first production in our baroque opera series. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic put rehearsals and performances on hold. After two and a half years of anticipation, we are now finally able to bring this magnificent baroque opera to the Opera Palace.
Giulio Cesare by master Baroque composer Georg Friedrich Händel is a notable work that established his reputation in England. This opera seria is based on the story of Caesar and Cleopatra and features successively unfolding arias in recitativo style. It is a spectacle of pleasure, showcasing dramatic effects, a variety of beautiful music and skilled vocal performances.
This production by Laurent PELLY was a success as soon as it hit the stage of Palais Garnier, Opéra National de Paris in 2011, and then performed at the Teatro Regio di Torino in 2014. PELLY's concept is that of "history in a dream". Taking a "playful look at history", a dramatic fantasy unfolds in the storeroom of an Egyptian antiquities museum. Colossal statues and paintings successively come to life in a clever mix of the ancient and the modern.
Baroque music virtuoso Rinaldo ALESSANDRINI takes up the conductor's baton, alongside notable singers MORIYA Mari, FUJIKI Daichi, KANOH Etsuko, KANEKO Mika and others from the scheduled cast in 2020. An outstanding Swedish mezzo-soprano Marianne Beate KIELLAND appears in the title role.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Opera at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
The Roman general Cesare enters Egypt in pursuit of his political opponent, Pompey, only to find that he has been killed by Tolomeo, the king of Egypt. Pompey's wife, Cornelia, and his son, Sesto, swear vengeance, but in the end are taken prisoner by Tolomeo. Tolomeo's sister, Cleopatra, seeks to dethrone her brother, and approaches Cesare. Cesare is being pursued by Tolomeo's general, Achilla, and escapes by sea. Cesare comes to the aid of Cleopatra, who has been imprisoned by her brother, and Sesto kills Tolomeo. Cesare crowns Cleopatra queen.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Rinaldo ALESSANDRINI
Production and Costume Design: Laurent PELLY
Set Design: Chantal THOMAS
Lighting Design: Joël ADAM
Dramaturg: Agathe MÉLINAND
Associate Director: Laurie FELDMAN
Giulio Cesare: Marianne Beate KIELLAND
Curio: KOMADA Toshiaki
Cornelia: KANOH Etsuko
Sesto: KANEKO Mika
Cleopatra: MORIYA Mari
Tolomeo: FUJIKI Daichi
Achilla: Vitaly YUSHMANOV
Nireno: MURAMATSU Toshiyuki
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Rinaldo ALESSANDRINIProduction and Costume Design
Marianne Beate KIELLANDCurio
Booking Opens: Sun, 7 Aug 2022, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.