Tue, 6 December 2022, 18:30
Thu, 8 December 2022, 14:00
Sat, 10 December 2022, 14:00
Sun, 11 December 2022, 14:00
Tue, 13 December 2022, 14:00
- Show More
Music by Wolfgang Amadeus MOZART
Opera in 2 Acts
Sung in Italian with English and Japanese surtitles
6 Dec - 13 Dec, 2022 ( 5 Performances )
Running time is approx. 3 hours and 20 mins including an interval.
This popular work by Mozart relates a glorious love story involving the charming and unparalleled playboy, Don Giovanni, as well as his shocking end. This dramatic and fast-paced opera is based on the legend of Don Juan, a legendary charmer who seduces a young woman, kills her father and is taken to hell by the father's ghost, which appears in the form of a stone statue. The story is accompanied by the devilishly charming protagonist, his endearing servant Leporello and a number of beautiful arias sung by the leading female roles, climaxing in a breathtaking confrontation with the stone statue and the final descent into hell. This production by Grischa ASAGAROFF is set in Venice, with the lead role based on real-life 18th-century charmer, Casanova.
A veteran Italian conductor Paolo OLMI returns to our podium after a decade. We welcome Italian Bass-Baritone Simone ALBERGHINI as the seductive Don Giovanni, along with Eleonora BURATTO as Donna Anna, whose supple voice has graced many notable theatres, star mezzo-soprano Serena MALFI as Donna Elvira, seasoned Mozart and baroque opera specialist Renato DOLCINI as Leporello, and Leonardo CORTELLAZZI, a tenor with a diverse repertoire, as Don Ottavio.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Opera at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
Cast change : Don Giovanni & Aida in 2022/2023 season
Serial seducer Don Giovanni makes nightly visits to women's apartments while his servant Leporello keeps watch. On this night, he visits Donna Anna but he is found out by her father, the Commendatore, and in a struggle Don Giovanni kills him. Donna Anna asks her fiance, Don Ottavio, to avenge her father's death.
Meanwhile, Giovanni meets another woman who turns out to be Donna Elvira, one of his former conquests, who had come searching for him. He makes a quick escape and Leporello, left with her, explains that his master has seduced over 2000 women all over Europe.
In the village, the wedding of Masetto and Zerlina is taking place, and Giovanni attempts to seduce the bride, but Elvira intervenes. Anna asks Giovanni for his help in finding her father's murderer, only to realize that he is the villain. Giovanni, in a merry mood, invites the whole wedding party to his villa. Anna, Elvira, and Ottavio enter, disguised as guests, and accuse him of his crime.
Don Giovanni exchanges clothes with Leporello in order to seduce Elvira's maid. Just then, Masetto leads a group of peasants in search of Giovanni, and he confides his plan to Leporello - actually Giovanni in disguise - and gets beaten up. The real Leporello, in Giovanni's clothes, escapes from Elvira and others and is reunited with his master.
As they pass the graveyard, the statue of the Commendatore suddenly speaks. Fearless, Giovanni invites him to dinner. The statue arrives and urges Giovanni to repent, but he refuses and is engulfed in flames.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Paolo OLMI
Production: Grischa ASAGAROFF
Set and Costume Design: Luigi PEREGO
Lighting Design: Martin GEBHARDT
Don Giovanni: Simone ALBERGHINI
Il Commendatore: KONO Teppei
Leporello: Renato DOLCINI
Donna Anna: Eleonora BURATTO
Don Ottavio: Leonardo CORTELLAZZI
Donna Elvira: Serena MALFI
Masetto: KONDO Kei
Zerlina: ISHIBASHI Emi
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Simone ALBERGHINIIl Commendatore
Renato DOLCINIDonna Anna
Eleonora BURATTODon Ottavio
Leonardo CORTELLAZZIDonna Elvira
Booking Opens: Sat, 1 Oct 2022, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.