Sat, 27 May 2023, 14:00
Tue, 30 May 2023, 14:00
Thu, 1 June 2023, 19:00
Sun, 4 June 2023, 14:00
- Show More
Music by Richard STRAUSS
Opera in 1 Act
Sung in German with English and Japanese surtitles
27 May - 4 Jun, 2023 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 1 hour and 40 mins with no intervals
Salome is a masterpiece by the archetypal German late Romantic composer, Richard Strauss. It is an one-act opera based on the eponymous play by Oscar WILDE, featuring an episode from the New Testament. The beauty of decadence of this opera brought a reaction at its premiere and made the composer's name known. A crucible of rich melodies and bold discords, this tense and dramatic one-act performance will take your breath away. This company's favourite production by the late August EVERDING is a magical masterpiece, set around a huge ancient well in centre stage. This time is our sixth revival since its first performance in 2000.
Conducting will be Constantin TRINKS, noted for his prowess with Richard Strauss. The title role having uncontrollable desire is sung by Alex PENDA. An English heldentenor Ian STOREY performs Herodes the tetrarch, and his wife will be played by an amazing singer and actor Jennifer LARMORE. In the role of Johanaan by whom Salome is fascinated, Tómas TÓMASSON will appear.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Opera at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
The setting is King Herod's palace in Jerusalem around 30 A.D. Salome, daughter-in-law of Herod, who wins his favor, takes interest in Johanaan (John the Baptist), who is imprisoned in the cistern in the courtyard, and orders Naraboth, captain of the guard, to bring him out for her to see him. She tries to make advances to him, but he repels them and accuses her mother Herodias for the sins she has committed and is taken back to the cistern. Asked by Herod to dance on condition that he will grant her whatever she desires, Salome puts on seven veils over her naked body and dances a bewitching dance. After her Dance of the Seven Veils, she demands the head of Johanaan.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Constantin TRINKS
Production: August EVERDING
Set and Costume Design: Jörg ZIMMERMANN
Salome: Alex PENDA
Herodes: Ian STOREY
Herodias: Jennifer LARMORE
Johanaan: Tómas TÓMASSON
Naraboth: SUZUKI Jun
Ein Page der Herodias: KANOH Etsuko
5 Juden 1: YOGI Takumi
5 Juden 2: AOCHI Hideyuki
5 Juden 3: KAMOSHITA Minoru
5 Juden 4: ITOGA Shuhei
5 Juden 5: HATAKEYAMA Shigeru
2 Nazarener 1: KITAGAWA Tatsuhiko
2 Nazarener 2: AKITANI Naoyuki
2 Soldaten 1: KANEKO Keiichi
2 Soldaten 2: OTSUKA Hiroaki
Ein Cappadocier: OKUBO Mitsuya
Ein Sklave: HANAFUSA Eriko
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Booking Opens: Sun, 12 Mar 2023, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.