[Cancelled] Les Contes d'Hoffmann
Sun, 19 April 2020, 14:00
Tue, 21 April 2020, 14:00
Thu, 23 April 2020, 18:30
Sat, 25 April 2020, 14:00
- Show More
*As of the 30th of March, we have cancelled all performances of "Les Contes d'Hoffmann". See for the details
Music by Jacques OFFENBACH
Opera in 5 Acts
Sung in French with English and Japanese surtitles
19 Apr - 25 Apr, 2020 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 3 hours 40 mins including intervals
This is Philippe ARLAUD's production of a whimsical love story. It is Jacques OFFENBACH's sole opera, best known for its "Belle nuit, ô nuit d'amour" ("Beauteous Night, O Night of Love"), other highlights including the "Chanson de Kleinzach" ("Song of little Zaches") sung by Hoffman, and that ultimate showcase of coloratura soprano singing, the "Les oiseaux dans la charmille" ("The birds in the arbour") aria sung by Olympia. This is ARLAUD's 2003 production at the New National Theatre Tokyo. He brings added depth to the work with radiating wit and humour, as well as effective use of fluorescent colours, bringing out the sense of fantasy of the work.
This will be a noteworthy production, featuring Marko LETONJA, Music Director of Strasbourg Philharmonic Orchestra, as conductor, and Leonardo CAPALBO who has been highly acclaimed for this role, will make his debut in NNTT. Kyle KETELSON, well-known for his Escamillo and Leporello roles, will be playing the four villains, while the rising star, mezzo soprano KOBAYASHI Yuka, will play Nicklausse and La Muse. The three soprano parts will be taken up by leading Japanese sopranos YASUI Yoko, KINOSHITA Mihoko and YOKOYAMA Keiko.
The setting is a tavern next to the opera house.
The poet Hoffmann, who exchanged promises with the singer Stella, with whom he is in love, to meet each other after her performance, begins telling stories of past love with three women: falling in love with Olympia, a mechanical doll; his consumptive lover Antonia being coaxed to sing one last time, draining her of her last breath; and his shadow being taken by the courtesan Giulietta;.
The tales over, Hoffman falls into despair over the emptiness of love, getting drunk. Whereupon the Muse appears before him.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Marko LETONJA
Production, Set and Lighting Design: Philippe ARLAUD
Costume Design: Andrea UHMANN
Choreographer: UEDA Haruka
Hoffmann: Leonardo CAPALBO
Nicklausse, La Muse: KOBAYASHI Yuka
Olympia: YASUI Yoko
Antonia: KINOSHITA Mihoko
Giulietta: YOKOYAMA Keiko
Lindorf, Coppélius, Miracle, Dapertutto: Kyle KETELSEN
Andres, Cochènille, Frantz, Pitichinaccio: AOCHI Hideyuki
Luther, Crespel: OKUBO Mitsuya
Spalanzani: HARE Masahiko
Schlemil: SUDO Shingo
La voix de la mère, Stella: TANIGUCHI Mutsumi
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
Chorus: New National Theatre Tokyo Chorus
- CREATIVE TEAM
Marko LETONJAProduction, Set and Lighting Design
Leonardo CAPALBONicklausse, La Muse
YOKOYAMA KeikoLindorf, Coppélius, Miracle, Dapertutto
Kyle KETELSENAndrès, Cochenille, Frantz, Pitichinaccio
Box Office: +81-(0)3-5352-9999
10:00 - 18:00
Booking Opens: Sun, 15 Dec 2019, 10:00am
*Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available at 11:00 am, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except in the case of a cancelled performance.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Preferred seats may not be available on the first day of ticket sales.