Music by Giuseppe VERDI
Music Drama in 3 Acts
Sung in Italian with English and Japanese surtitles
10 Mar - 21 Mar, 2022 ( 5 Performances )
Running time is approx. 2 hours and 40 mins including one interval
"La traviata" is set in the world of Parisian high society. This popular opera tells the story of the courtesan, Violetta Valéry: her loves and her sad fate. It is based on the dramatic adaptation of the romantic novel, "La Dame aux Camélias" by Alexandre DUMAS fils, modeled by the author on the high-class mistress, Marie Duplessis. Giuseppe VERDI then took the story, making its heroine a contemporary woman, and writing an innovative opera in which he raised the role of the music itself to that of expressing the story's emotions. Starting with "Libiamo ne' lieti calici", which has become a well-known, staple tune of gala concerts, the work features numerous other famous songs, such as Violetta's most technically demanding aria, "Ah, fors'è lui-sempre libera", in the prelude foretelling tragedy, and Germont's "Di Provenza il mar, il suol".
The director, Vincent BOUSSARD, is noted for sophisticated staging with an unerring eye for colour. His production of "La traviata" (first staged in 2015) displays that aesthetic sensibility. At the same time, he effectively holds up a mirror on the world to paint an imagined landscape, taking the theme of a woman's fate in the world of men. Upon curtain fall, we are left with the vivid picture of a woman who has lived her life with unwavering pride.
Anita HARTIG, who has charmed many audience around the world, stars at the leading role Violetta. She will be partnered by Italian tenor Matteo DESOLE as Alfredo, who has played this role at Teatro dell'Opera di Roma, Teatro La Fenice in Venice, Teatro del Maggio Musicale Fiorentino in Florence and among others. And Albanian bartion Gezim MYSHKETA will sing one of the notable baritone roles, Giorgio Germont. Andriy YURKEVYCH will come back to the orchestra pit at Opera Palace.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
Violetta, a courtesan in Paris, opens her heart to Alfredo, a son of a wealthy man, though she is hesitant to accept his sincere courtship. They begin to enjoy each other’s company living together in the suburbs of the city.
One day during Alfredo’s absence, his father Germont calls on Violetta to ask her to give up his son so that marriage arrangements for his daughter will proceed smoothly. Violetta decides to abandon her love and leaves Alfredo. After her return to Paris, Alfredo appears in front of her and accuses her of her betrayal in the presence of other people.
Time passes, but it is too late when all misunderstandings have come to light. Sick in bed, Violetta dies as she is embraced by the love of Alfredo, who asks for her pardon.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Andriy YURKEVYCH
Production and Costume Design: Vincent BOUSSARD
Set Design: Vincent LEMAIRE
Lighting Design: Guido LEVI
Movement Director: Helge LETONJA
Violetta Valéry: Anita HARTIG
Alfredo Germont: Matteo DESOLE
Giorgio Germont: Gezim MYSHKETA
Visconte Gastone: KANAYAMA Kyosuke
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Symphony Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Andriy YURKEVYCHProduction and Costume Design
Anita HARTIGAlfredo Germont
Matteo DESOLEGiorgio Germont
Booking Opens: Sun, 30 Jan 2022, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast change may be required depending on the situation.