Wed, 28 June 2023, 19:00
Fri, 30 June 2023, 14:00
Sun, 2 July 2023, 14:00
Wed, 5 July 2023, 14:00
Sat, 8 July 2023, 14:00
- Show More
25th Anniversary Production
Music by Giacomo PUCCINI
Opera in 4 Acts
Sung in Italian with English and Japanese surtitles
28 Jun - 8 Jul, 2023 ( 5 Performances )
Running time is approx. 2 hours and 50 mins including intervals
Set in 19th century Paris, this opera depicts the pure love of the poet Rodolfo and the seamstress Mimì, and the impoverished yet free spirit of young artists with dreams of future success. This romantic story is interwoven with dulcet melodies typical of Puccini. The scene featuring the famous arias "Che gelida manina" and "Mi chiamano Mimì" stands out among many operas as a beautiful scene of love. This production is packed with highlights, including the bustling Quartier Latin on the Christmas, the beautiful yet sorrowful vocal quartet of the lovers on their decision to part ways, and the moving final scene. The stage design is a realistic reproduction of Paris at the time, a major feat by director AGUNI Jun. The psychological characterisations carefully woven throughout each act are deeply evocative.
Mimì will be sung by Alessandra MARIANELLI, an Italian soprano who has appeared in various European opera houses. Alongside of her, Stephen COSTELLO will return to the stage of Opera Palace as Rodolfo after his house debut in 2019 for Madama Butterfly. The Artistic Director of Opera ONO Kazushi will be on the podium to lead this Puccini's eternal masterpiece.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
2022/2023 Season Opera at the New National Theatre, Tokyo
The impoverished poet Rodolfo and the painter Marcello share a garret in 1830s Paris. On Christmas Eve, Rodolfo meets his neighbor Mimì and they quickly fall in love. Meanwhile, Marcello and Musetta are reunited after a chance meeting at a cafe, causing the young companions to sing of the magnificence of love.
However, concern over Mimì's illness causes her and Rodolfo to part.
Time passes and Musetta brings a dying Mimì to Rodolfo. As he holds her, Mimi silently breathes her last breath, bringing Rodolfo to bitter tears.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: ONO Kazushi
Production: AGUNI Jun
Set Design: Pasquale GROSSI
Costume Design: Alessandro CIAMMARUGHI
Lighting Design: KASAHARA Toshiyuki
Mimì: Alessandra MARIANELLI
Rodolfo: Stephen COSTELLO
Marcello: SUDO Shingo
Musetta: Valentina MASTRANGELO
Schaunard: KOMADA Toshiaki
Colline: Francesco LEONE
Benoit: SHIKANO Yoshiyuki
Alcindoro: HARE Masahiko
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Booking Opens: Sun, 30 Apr 2023, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.