Music by Richard STRAUSS
Opera in 3 Acts
Sung in German with English and Japanese surtitles
ARTS for the future! 2 Programme
Supported by the Agency for Cultural Affairs, Government of Japan in the fiscal 2021
3 Apr - 12 Apr, 2022 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 4 hours including two intervals
This masterpiece is set in high society Vienna, and portrays in elegant and exquisite music about memories of times gone by and of young, new love. Master director Jonathan MILLER excels at detailed character portrayal, and in moving the action from that pinnacle of aristocratic culture, 18th century Vienna, to 1912, which is one year after the first staging of "Der Rosenkavalier", he has the work impart a sense of the vicissitudes of time that audiences at the time would have experienced. Those who appeared on stage then, as well as the famous duo of composer (Richard STRAUSS) and librettist (Hugo von HOFMANNSTHAL) all lived in an age over which the darkening clouds of strife were gathering, on the brink of war. The wise Marschallin sings that "she wants to stop the clock", and in doing so feels not only the relentless encroachment of age and resignation at having parted from her young lover, but a sense, too, of a generational shift.
Annette DASCH, one of the world's leading sopranos, performs the role of the Marschallin, making a much-awaited return to the NNTT for the first time since 2008. Viennese conductor Sascha GOETZEL who has given many concerts with Japanese orchestra will make his NNTT debut.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
NEWS & FEATURES
Cast change : Der Rosenkavalier (3 -12 April) / Role of Der Baron Ochs auf Lerchenau, Octavian and so on
Interview: Annette Dasch on "Der Rosenkavalier"
The Marschallin (field marshal's wife) is dallying with her lover, the young count Octavian, while the field marshal is away. It comes about that Octavian is asked to deliver a silver rose to the Sophie, the fiancée of Baron Ochs (the Marschallin's cousin) as a token of the Baron's engagement-but the young couple fall in love at first sight.
Ochs challenges Octavian to a duel, but ends up making an immense fuss when he is barely scratched; meanwhile, he is duped by a phony love letter delivered to him by Octavian in women's clothing, and in the end his engagement to Sophie is broken off.
The Marschallin sees the love of the young couple and as she makes her exit, gives them her blessing.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Sascha GOETZEL
Production: Jonathan MILLER
Scenery and Costume Design: Isabella BYWATER
Lighting Design: ISONO Mutsumi
Die Feldmarschallin: Annette DASCH
Der Baron Ochs auf Lerchenau: TSUMAYA Hidekazu
Octavian: KOBAYASHI Yuka
Herr von Faninal:YONASHIRO Kei
Sophie: YASUI Yoko
Valzacchi: UCHIYAMA Shingo
Annina: KANOH Etsuko
Ein Polizeikommissar: OTSUKA Hiroaki
Der Haushofmeister bei der Feldmarschallin: MASUJIMA Tadahiro
Der Haushofmeister bei Faninal: HAMAMATSU Takayuki
Ein Notar:HARE Masahiko
Ein Wirt: AOCHI Hideyuki
Ein Sänger: MIYASATO Naoki
Eine Modistin:SATO Michiko
Ein Tierhändler:TSUCHIZAKI Joe
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Annette DASCHDer Baron Ochs auf Lerchenau
KOBAYASHI YukaHerr von Faninal
KANOH EtsukoEin Sänger
Box Office: +81-(0)3-5352-9999
10:00 - 18:00
Booking Opens: Sun, 20 Feb 2022, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast change may be required depending on the situation.