Der fliegende Holländer
Wed, 26 January 2022, 19:00
Sat, 29 January 2022, 14:00
Wed, 2 February 2022, 14:00
Sun, 6 February 2022, 14:00
- Show More
Music by Richard WAGNER
Opera in 3 Acts
Sung in German with English and Japanese surtitles
26 Jan - 6 Feb, 2022 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 2 hours and 55 mins including one interval
WAGNER almost experienced a shipwreck, which inspired him to write this opera early in his career based on a modern English legend about a Dutch ship captain who is doomed to sail the oceans forever as punishment for his blasphemy. The story tells how the love of the young maiden, Senta, saves the cursed Dutch captain. Salvation through love and self-sacrifice became a common theme in all of WAGNER's works thereafter. Matthias von STEGMANN's production was first presented in 2007, staged again in 2012 and 2015, then here again for the fourth time.
Renowned conductor James CONLON makes his NNTT debut. The title role is taken on by leading Wagner singer Egils SILINS, who is joined on stage by the noteworthy young singers including Martina WELSCHENBACH and Ladislav ELGR.
* Please note that there might be changes depending on the Covid-19 situation.
[Covid-19] Our Prevention Plan and Request to Our Patrons
The performances will be taking place based on the policies of the Japanese government and the Tokyo Metropolitan government, along with the guideline for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19 infection by the Association of Public Theatres and Halls in Japan.
Please read this page before visiting the theatre.
A Dutch ghost ship eternally wanders the seas until its cursed captain can find a woman who will pledge herself to him. Once in every seven years he is permitted to land to search for such a one, and when he does he meets Senta, daughter of Daland, another sea-captain.
Senta, feeling this to be a fated encounter, rejects the pleas of her suitor Erik, and pursues Holländer, throwing herself into the waves in order to save him. With this, the spell is broken, the ghost ship sinks with a terrifying sound, and Senta and Holländer are borne into heaven in each other's arms.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: James CONLON
Production: Matthias von STEGMANN
Set Design: HORIO Yukio
Costume Design: HIBINO Kodue
Lighting Design: ISONO Mutsumi
Daland: TSUMAYA Hidekazu
Senta: Martina WELSCHENBACH
Erik: Ladislav ELGR
Mary: YAMASHITA Makiko
Steuermann: SUZUKI Jun
Holländer: Egils SILINS
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Symphony Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Matthias von STEGMANN
Booking Opens: Sat, 27 Nov 2021, 10:00am
*The tickets will be sold for all seats as normal (except the seats in rows 1-2 on the 1st Floor).
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available 2 hours before the show starts, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
*Please note that further changes or cancellations may be required as the coronavirus situation develops or to comply with requests from the Government.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except following conditions.
- When the performance is cancelled.
- In case you correspond to the conditions as mentioned on this page
- If you choose not to attend the performance due to prevent infection.
Please be sure to call the New National Theatre, Tokyo Box Office in advance.
At that point, we will tell you the Refund method.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast change may be required depending on the situation.