Music by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Opera in 3 Acts
Sung in Russian with English and Japanese surtitles
24 Jan - 3 Feb, 2024 ( 4 Performances )
Running time is approx. 3 hours and 5 mins including intervals.
Booking Opens: Sat, 11 Nov 2023, 10:00am
Tchaikovsky's romantic opera Eugene Onegin, the first Russian opera produced under artistic director Ono Kazushi's policy of performing a wider range of repertoire, returns to the New National Theatre Tokyo. Based on Alexander Pushkin's original work, the dignified story is conveyed with Tchaikovsky's unique lyricism, for a masterpiece sure to move the hearts of all. It also features numerous popular numbers often performed as stand-alone pieces, such as the Letter Aria, 'Kuda, kuda, vi udalilis' and a spectacular polonaise.
Because the Dmitry Bertman's production takes on the motif from the Konstantin Stanislavsky's production, the characters are portrayed from a modern viewpoint and filled with vibrant energy based on Stanislavsky's realism. In portraying human relationships between Russian regional aristocrats in the early acts, as well as in the final scene expressing the misery of Tatyana, who has become Duchess of St. Petersburg, and Onegin, this production has been acclaimed for vividly capturing contrasts and featuring beautiful set and costume designs.
This phenomenal production brings together an extraordinary cast of renowned Russian opera specialists, including Ekaterina Siurina, one of the world's top sopranos, Yuriy Yurchuk, a leading baritone famous throughout Europe, Anna Goryachova, who has taken the major houses by storm, and Victor Antipenko, who performs all over Europe, particularly in Germany, and North America.
Russia in the 1820s. Tatyana, daughter of Larina, a landowner in a farming village, is strongly attracted to Onegin, who came with Lensky, sweetheart of her sister, Olga. She confesses her growing love for Onegin in a letter to him; however, he rejects her.
One night, while a ball is in progress at Larina's house, Onegin dances only with Olga, inviting the jealousy of Lensky. This develops into a duel and Onegin kills Lensky. With a heart of atonement, Onegin starts on a wandering journey.
After years have gone by, Onegin reappears in front of Tatyana, who is now a princess and is highly celebrated in fashionable society. Now, in contrast to his previous behavior, he confesses his passionate love to her. Tatiana admits that she still loves him, but that she has made her decision and will not leave her husband. Onegin is left desperate.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Conductor: Valentin URYUPIN
Production: Dmitry BERTMAN
Set Design: Igor NEZHNY
Costume Design: Tatiana TULUBIEVA
Lighting Design: Denis ENYUKOV
Choreographer: Edvald SMIRNOV
Tatyana: Ekaterina SIURINA
Eugene (Yevgeny) Onegin: Yuriy YURCHUK
Vladimir Lensky: Viktor ANTIPENKO
Olga: Anna GORYACHOVA
Prince Gremin: Alexander TSYMBALYUK
Madama Larina: GOKE Akiko
Filipyevna: HASHIZUME Yuka
Zaretsky: Vitaly YUSHMANOV
Monsieur Triquet: MASUJIMA Tadahiro
Chorus: New National Theatre Chorus
Orchestra: Tokyo Symphony Orchestra
- CREATIVE TEAM
Ekaterina SIURINAEugene (Yevgeny) Onegin
Yuriy YURCHUKVladimir Lensky
Anna GORYACHOVAPrince Gremin
Alexander TSYMBALYUKMadama Larina
Booking Opens: Sat, 11 Nov 2023, 10:00am
Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seats are still available at 11:00 am, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
- Latecomers will not be admitted to the auditorium unless there is a suitable break or interval.
- For Seat D of Opera performances, maximum of 2 tickets per person on the first day of ticket sale.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except in the case of a cancelled performance.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Please note that cast or programme change may be required depending on the situation.