[CANCELLED] Don Quixote
This ballet, brimming with fun and vitality, is based on an episode from CERVANTES' Don Quixote. It is a love story featuring the barber, Basilio, and the town girl, Kitri, which unfolds in bright, cheerful Barcelona.This popular program piece offers the beauty of classical ballet and character dancing in a rich variety of forms. Enjoy the full panoply of dramatic dance: Spanish dancing, with its distinctive accents, by bedazzlingly clad matadors and the girls of the town; the beautiful corps de ballet dancing in scenes from Don Quixote's dreams; and the final pas de deux danced with the utmost skill by the lovers in the final act. The National Ballet of Japan presents its rich line-up of soloists and its highly recognized corps de ballet in this much-loved classical work.
Don Quixote goes out seeking adventure, traveling through various lands, accompanied by the peasant, Sancho Panza. Basilio the barber is the lover of Kitri, the girl who brings customers into the inn that belongs to her father, Lorenzo. However, Lorenzo is trying to have his daughter marry the wealthy aristocrat, Gamache. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza arrive at a square filled with merrymakers. Upon seeing Kitri, Don Quixote believes her to be Dulcinea, the woman of his dreams.
Kitri and Basilio hide away in a tavern on the outskirts of town in order to escape from Lorenzo. But, upon being discovered by the pursuing Lorenzo and others, Basilio declares that if he cannot marry Kitri he will kill himself, and takes his own life. Don Quixote, filled with indignation, holds his spear to Lorenzo, and insists that he allow Basilio to fulfil his dying wish and marry Kitri. Lorenzo reluctantly consents, and Basilio, who had been feigning death, leaps up and shares his joy with Kitri.
Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are wandering through the woods. Don Quixote mistakes a windmill for a giant and attacks it, is thrown violently to the ground, and passes out. In his dreams, he then meets the princess Dulcinea (Kitri).
Sancho then encounters a duke and duchess out enjoying a hunt, and pleads with them to assist his master, who has lost consciousness. The duke and duchess invite Don Quixote to their castle. On hearing from Sancho the story of the love between Kitri and Basilio, they arrange to host the wedding ceremony in their castle. A lavish party to celebrate the wedding takes place, with the joyous Kitri and Basilio dancing before the guests.
CREATIVE TEAM & CAST
Music: Leon MINKUS
Choreography: Marius PETIPA/Alexander GORSKY
Production: Alexei FADEYECHEV
Set & Costume Designer: Vyacheslav OKUNEV
Lighting Designer: KAJI Kozo
Conductor: Alexei BAKLAN
Orchestra: Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
Kitri: YONEZAWA Yui
Basilio: IZAWA Shun
Kitri: KIMURA Yuri
Basilio: WATANABE Takafumi
Kitri: SIBAYAMA Saho
Basilio: NAKAYA Masahiro
Kitri: IKEDA Risako
Basilio: OKUMURA Kosuke
Kitri: YONEZAWA Yui
Basilio: HAYAMI Shogo
Kitri: ONO Ayako
Basilio: FUKUOKA Yudai
- CREATIVE TEAM
Alexei FADEYECHEVSet & Costume Designer
Vyacheslav OKUNEVLighting Designer
YONEZAWA YuiBasilio (5/2)
IZAWA ShunKitri (5/3)
KIMURA YuriBasilio (5/3)
WATANABE TakafumiKitri (5/4)
SHIBAYAMA SahoBasilio (5/4)
NAKAYA MasahiroKitri (5/5)
IKEDA RisakoBasilio (5/5)
OKUMURA KosukeKitri (5/9)
YONEZAWA YuiBasilio (5/9)
HAYAMI ShogoKitri (5/10)
ONO AyakoBasilio (5/10)
Booking Opens: 2019 Dec 8 (Sun) 10:00
*Booking Z seats (Day tickets) 1,650 yen
- You are able to purchase Z seat tickets online from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. Click "BUY TICKETS" next to "Z" under each performance information.
- There is a handling charge of ¥330 (incl. tax).
- Only when seats allocated as Z seat are still available at 11:00 am, you are able to purchase these tickets at the Box Office of the theatre.
- Note that all Z seats are on a first come, first served basis and will come with restricted views.
Under 15s discounts and Z seats (Day Tickets) are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone.
- No admittance to children under 4. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except in the case of a cancelled performance.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office.
- Preferred seats may not be available on the first day of ticket sales.