The strength of the National Ballet of Japan is our team effortONO Ayako & FUKUOKA Yudai Principal Dancers of the National Ballet of Japan
- Ono & Fukuoka) Hello, I’m ONO Ayako, I’m FUKUOKA Yudai.
Thank you for the support you’ve been showing us all these years and your continuous support for many more to come.
- 【The very thing that strikes the most】
- Fukuoka) What I like about working at the New National Theatre is the fact that the theatre staff are very supportive. They do their best to make the theatre a lively place, and there’s a great sense of togetherness.
Ono) I have been with the company under three Artistic Directors; MAKI Asami, David BINTLEY and OHARA Noriko. What strikes me the most is how the characteristics of the company and the atmosphere of the auditorium change depending on who is heading the company.
- 【The thing to look forward to】
- Fukuoka) I’m fortunate to be one of the principal dancers, and I look forward to performing all the parts I’m given. I hope I can live up to the expectation and give back the tremendous honour I have been given.
Ono) I look forward to every performance. Even when approaching a revival of a production, I always enjoy challenging it afresh and hope that I can reach another height.
- 【What I like about the National Ballet of Japan】
- Fukuoka) I value the fact that it’s a company that has its own resident theatre and therefore able to put on full-length ballet productions, which is quite rare in Japan. That is something I know I shouldn’t take for granted.
Ono) I think another strength of the company is our team effort. I like how each and every dancer makes their utmost effort to reach a higher level as an artist and not because we’re paid to do so.
- 【Role of the theatre】
- Fukuoka) It’s a place for people to come and have a wonderful time. Speaking from a dancer’s point of view, I want the audience to be able to forget their worries and problems when watching our performance.
Ono) I think theatre is a bit like an art gallery, but unlike works of art, there’s always a live energy flowing about. Every time you come to the theatre, the impression changes depending on the energy level you receive from people you meet. And from a performer’s point of view, I want to make sure that the energy is constantly flowing from the stage.