For me, dance is magicHIRAYAMA Motoko Choreographer / Dancer
- I’m HIRAYAMA Motoko. Congratulations to the New National Theatre on your 20th anniversary!
- 【Particularly memorable works】
- The most memorable work must be “The Rite of Spring”. It was very difficult to dance. I danced my heart out in the opening performance, and when I had finished, the audience applauded generously. This was the work in which I felt the greatest sense of fulfilment as a dancer and had a wonderful experience. The most recent work “Hybrid - Rhythm & Dance” also had a special meaning for me, as it allowed me to see a new direction as a choreographer and we were able to go on an overseas tour.
- 【The role of the theatre】
- Theatre is a creative place where audiences and performers come together to form a surge. I see it as an attractive and a necessary place where one can experience this surge of energy directly.
- 【The attraction of dance】
- For me, dance is magic. It embraces everything from the very primitive to the avant-garde, and takes us all at once to a strange place. That permeates into our bodies and makes us never want to stop. This strangeness is the biggest attraction of dance for me.