WATANABE Takafumi was born in Fukushima prefecture. He began his training under SUZUKI Toshio. He went to Monaco and trained at the L'Académie de Danse Classique Princesse Grace under the direction of Marika BESOBRASOVA and graduated at the top of the class. In 2009, he joined Le Ballet du Capitole in Toulouse and was promoted to Soloist in 2011. He danced the roles of Albrecht in "Giselle", Prince in "The Nutcracker", Basilio in "Don Quixote" and many other works by choreographers such as BALANCHINE, ROBBINS, KYLIAN, DUATO and THARP. He performend the title role in BELARBI's new production "Beauty and the Beast" and its recording was released as DVD/Blu-ray. He joined the National Ballet of Japan as Soloist in 2016 and performed the role of the Prince Siegfried in "Swan Lake" Ballet for Children. He was promoted to First Soloist in 2017.
Repertoire with NBJ includes
- Wayne EAGLING's production: The Sleeping Beauty (Princess Aurora, Princess Florine)
- Konstantin SERGYEV's production: Giselle (Albert)
- Frederick ASHTON: Cinderella (Prince)
- OHARA Noriko: Ballet for Children Swan Lake (Prince Siegfried)
- OGURA Sachiko: Snow White (Prince Lex)
- Kenneth MACMILLAN: Romeo and Juliet (Paris)