Performed in Japanese
Apr. - May 2018
Running time is to be announced
Following on from "Marjorie Prime", this is the sixth in our series of of presenting Japan Premiere of Western plays ta the NNTT. This time, we present "1984", an outstanding work nominated for a Laurence Olivier Award in 2014.
Based on the George ORWELL novel "1984" written in 1948, this ambitious work is a dramatization exploring the significance of the "Principles of Newspeak" appended to the novel. The play transports us into the world of the novel based sometime after 2050, which is when the appendix is posited here to have been written, and presents things from the viewpoint of those living in that time, analysing post-nuclear-war 1984 society, when everyone was monitored and controlled.
The play is directed by OGAWA Eriko, who directed "OPUS" and "Constellations" and was appointed Artistic Consultant of Drama at the New National Theatre Tokyo in September 2016.
Original George ORWELL
Written Robert ICKE and Duncan MACMILLAN
Translated HIRAKAWA Daisaku 1
Directed OGAWA Eriko 2
INOUE Yoshio 3
OHSUGI Ren 4
Sunday, 18th February 2018, 10:00 am (GMT+9:00)
The New National Theatre,
Tokyo Box Office:
10:00 - 18:00
Tickets are sold via the website of PIA Corporation.
- Concession Prices (students, juniors, seniors, groups)
- Under 15s discounts are available online. Other types of discount tickets are not available online. Please inquire at the Box Office or by telephone. (+81-(0)3-5352-9999 10:00 - 18:00)
Booking Z seats (Day Tickets) 1,620 yen
- Z seats are available at the Box Office from 10:00 a.m. on the day of the performance. One ticket per person. Telephone bookings are not accepted.
- No admittance to pre-school children. Each child older than this age requires a ticket for entry, even when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Tickets may not be changed or refunded except in the case of a cancelled performance.
- A special discount price is available for disabled guests. Please inquire at the Box Office for details.
- Users of wheelchairs are requested to contact the Box Office before coming to the theatre.
- Preferred seats may not be available on the first day of ticket sales or times when the operators are busy.